The 10th National Council on Environment has successfully been held which in Lafia, Nasarawa State. Chaired by the Hon. Minister of Environment Amina J Mohammed.
The theme of the 10th NCE as issued by the Federal Ministry of Environment is "Environment and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Nigeria – Empowering People, Taking Climate Action and Protecting the Environment.Speaking at the Official Opening of the council Meeting, Gov. Almakura commended the Federal Government for according premium attention to issues that affect the environment, lauding the Federal Government for emphasis on the diversification of the economy, The Gov. of Nasarawa State made a case for action in the areas of waste management and flooding among other issues that constitute a bane to the environment.
The Minister of Environment Amina Muhammad speaking stated that the Federal Government has planned to launch clean and green campaign to address the menace open defecation and indiscriminate disposal of plastics and bags in the country. Highlighting some of the efforts of her Ministry towards containing environmental issues, Amina Muhammed said the government initiatives on waste to wealth are to protect the environment from pollution and to create entrepreneurs in waste management and alternative cleaner energy sources, she affirmed that the ministry is synergising with NIMET on the issues of flood, just as she posited that a waste to wealth programme is to be located in Nasarawa state because of the enormous challenges in Karu axis. On the issue of the conference, she said the current administration is reflected as one of the six core pillars of the government's agenda.
The Minister of Environment explained that her ministry was set up to contribute to the Change Agenda with its new vision of empowering people, tackling climate action and protecting the environment.
The Minister of Environment whom had earlier paid a cutesy call on Governor Almakura where she applauded him for the warm welcome the state and its people had given the 10th National Council Family, commended him for development initiatives and his efforts in transforming the state forward.
Minister of Niger Delta, Minister of state for Environment, representative of UNIDO, UNDP, the Emir of Keffi Shehu Chindo yamusa the second, Chairman House of Assembly Committee on Environment, Hon. Ibrahim Bala Moskolo and State Commissioner of Environment, Gabriel Akaaka where all confident in the ability of the Council of Environment to produce the desired road map that will help towards ensuring environmental sustainability.
In his speech, on behalf of the state traditional council, the Emir of Keffi, Shehu Cindo Yamusa called on the stake holders to address the illegal activities at the state forest where millions of three were cut down.
The Following were the outcomes of the Meeting
- A Communiqué on the Decisions reached by the Council
- Signing of Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) between Federal Ministry of Environment and the Nasarawa State Government on Partnership and Collaboration
- A Council Report on the outcome of decisions on the submitted Council Memoranda by the Fed Ministry, MDAs and other stakeholders for consideration and further necessary action.
- Launched of Eco-Hub, a web-based platform for information and knowledge sharing among Ministers and Hon. Commissioners of Environment. v Repositioned the structure of NCE starting from 2017 to make the process less cumbersome, more efficient and effective by putting in place the following
- Innovative tracking and Monitory system for Councils reports and decisions
- Ensure the efficient use of executive time for scarce resources by reducing the number of days from five (5) to three (3).
- Produce Guidelines for Council Meetings and Process
The Report of the Council can be found here